In 1945, Folch married Willa Babcock, who was also a scholar in her own right (in the subject of Romance languages) and would later become the academic dean of Tufts University. The couple had three children.
Awards and Honours
Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (1956).
Member of the United States National Academy of Sciences (1978).
Awarded honorary professorship by the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Barcelona (Spain).
Awarded honorary degree by the University of Montpellier (France).
Awarded honorary degree by the University of Chile, Santiago (Chile).
Awarded medal as honorary councillor of CSIC (Supreme National Council for Scientific Research, Spain).
- Schneider, H. A. ; Folch i Pi, J. An amino acid constituent of ox brain cephalin. J. Biol. Chem. 137:51-62.
- Woolley, D. W.; Folch i Pi, J. Inositol, a constituent of a brain phosphatide. J. Biol. Chem. 142:963-64.
- Brain cephalin, a mixture of phospatides. Separation from it of phosphatidyl serine, phospatidyl ethanolamine and a fraction containing an inositol phosphatide. J. Biol. Chem. 146:35-44. The chemical structure of phosphatidyl serine. J. Biol. Chem. 174:439-50.
- Brain diphosphoinositide, a new phosphatide having inositol metadiphosphate as a constituent. J. Biol. Chem. 177:505-19.
- Lees, M.; Folch i Pi, J. Proteolipids, a new type of tissue lipoproteins. Their isolation from brain. J. Biol. Chem. 191:807-17.
- Arsove, S.; Meath, J. A.; Folch i Pi, J. Isolation of brain strandin, a new type of large molecule tissue component. J. Biol. Chem. 191:819-31.
- Ascoli, I.; Lees, M.; Meath, J. A.; LeBaron, F. N.; Folch i Pi, J. Preparation of lipide extracts from brain tissue. J. Biol. Chem. 191:833-41.
- Waksman, B. H.; Porter, H., Lees, M. B.; Adams, R. D; Folch i Pi, J. A study of the chemical nature of components of bovine white matter effective in producing allergic encephalomyelitis in rabbits. J.Exp. Med. 100:451-71.
- Composition of the brain in relation to maturation. In Biochemistry of the Developing Nervous System, ed. H. Waelsch, pp. 121-36. New York: Academic Press.
- LeBaron, F. N.; Folch i Pi, J. The isolation from brain tissue of a trypsinresistant protein fraction containing combined inositol, and its relation to neurokeratin. J. Neurochem. 1:101-108.
- Porter, H.; Folch i Pi, J. Cerebrocuprein I, a copper-containing protein isolated from the brain. J. Neurochem. 1:260-71.
- Lees, M.; Sloane Stanley, G. H.; Folch i Pi, J. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226:497-509.
- Lees, M.; Sloane Stanley, G. H.; Folch i Pi, J. The role of acidic lipides in the electrolyte balance of the nervous system of mammals. In Metabolism of the Nervous System, ed. D. Richter, pp. 174-99. London: Pergamon Press.
- Lees, M.; Folch i Pi, J. Studies on the brain ganglioside strandin in normal brain and in Tay-Sachs disease. AMA J. Dis. Child. 97(part II):730-38.
- Casals, J.; Pope, A.; Meath, J. A.; LeBaron, F. N.; Lees, M.; Folch i Pi, J. The chemistry of myelin development. In Biology of Myelin. ed. S. Korey, pp. 122-37. New York: P. B. Hoeber Press.
- Lees, M. B.; Folch i Pi, J. A study of some human brains with pathological changes. In Chemical Pathology of the Nervous System, ed. J.Folch-Pi, pp. 75-82. Oxford: Pergamon Press.
- Webster, G. R. ; Folch i Pi, J. Some studies on the properties of proteolipids. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 49:399-401.
- Lees, M. B.; Carr, S.; Folch i Pi, J. Purification of bovine brain white matter proteolipids by dialysis in organic solvents. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 84:464-66.
- Matsumoto, M.; Matsumoto, R.; Folch i Pi, J. The chromatographic fractionation of brain white matter proteolipids. J. Neurochem. 11:829-38.
- Quarles, R.; Folch i Pi, J. Some effects of physiological cations on the behavior of gangliosides in a chloroform:methanol:water biphasic system. J. Neurochem. 12:543-53.
- Tenenbaum, D.; Folch i Pi, J. The preparation and characterization of water soluble proteolipid protein from bovine brain white matter. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 115:141-47.
- Sherman, G.; Folch i Pi, J. Rotatory dispersion and circular dichroism of brain proteolipid protein. J. Neurochem. 17:597-605.
- Stoffyn, P.; Folch i Pi, J. On the type of linkage binding fatty acids present in brain white matter proteolipid apoprotein. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 44:157-61.
- With P. J. Stoffyn. Proteolipids from membrane systems. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 195:86-107.
- Sakura, J. D.; Folch i Pi, J. Preparation of the proteolipid apoprotein from bovine heart, liver and kidney. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 427:410-27.
For more information
- Jordi Folch i Pi, L'home i la obra (1911 -1979) por Francesc González i Sastre. Pertenece a la publicación Record de Josep Puche i Álvarez, Conrad Xalabarder i Puig, Antoni Esteve i Subirana, Pere Domingo i Sanjuán, Jordi Folch i Pi. Instituto de Estudios Catalanes-Sociedad Catalana de Biología, 1980.
- A Biographical Memoir by Majorie B. Less and Alfred Pope. Biographical Memoirs, Vol. 79. Published by The national Academy Press, Washington, D.C.
This biography has been compiled from information collected on December 15 , 2015 Wikipedia having incorporated new information pertaining to the biography written by Francisco González Sastre was posted in Record de Josep Puche i Álvarez, Conrad Xalabarder i Puig, Antoni Esteve i Subirana, Pere Domingo i Sanjuán, Jordi Folch i Pi published by the Institute of Catalan Studies and the Catalan Society of Biology in 1980.